Showdown by Errol Flynn!

17 Jun

The West Australian Newspaper

Saturday, October 12, 1946

At work on SHOWDOWN with his editorial assistant …

The dedication he wrote to his parents reveals he was not happy with the final result … perhaps warding off criticism of his work?

The book went on to be republished in paperback many times. It is now a collector’s item and if you have a copy, hang onto it!

— David DeWitt

1. Ralph Schiller

June 17, 2021 at 5:45 pm

Thanks David, this is a rare find, and I hope these editions of Errol Flynn’s novel “Showdown”, are in your own collection. Flynn’s other book “Beam Ends” was a diary of hos voyage on the ship the Sirocco.

2. Debbyphielix

June 17, 2021 at 5:57 pm

I have the copy in the middle of the 3 paperbacks. It was not expencive I must say. I would love to have a copy of Beams End, but the prices are way to high for me.

• Karl

June 17, 2021 at 5:58 pm

How about for free?

archive.org…

• Ralph Schiller

June 17, 2021 at 8:55 pm

Debby, Check out the used books on Amazon where one can get a rare book for a couple of dollars. Also look online for Abe Books.

• Karl

June 18, 2021 at 11:01 am

This link is for a free and unequivocally safe version of Showdown. There are ALSO downloadable versions of Beam Ends out there that they claim are free and you “just have to register” for this free version… DON’T know if safe or not:

tinyurl.com…

3. mmcshrry

June 18, 2021 at 2:37 am

I read and enjoyed SHOWDOWN a couple years ago. Having just reread everything Joseph Conrad, I would say that Errol’s compares favorably (with some similarities in plot and theme) to Conrad’s 1920 novel, THE RESCUE— which was made into a movie in 1929, starring Ronald Colman and a certain Lili Damita.

• Ralph Schiller

June 18, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Thank-you MMCSHRRY, I did not know that.

• tassie devil

June 19, 2021 at 4:55 am

Hi all I have a copy showdown last paper back i also have a copy of Beam ends which in my tastes I like much more. it is about his trip from Sydney to new Guinea. Love Genene