Who Have We Here?

2) A Writer

3) A Musical Composer

4) A Pioneering Director

5) Said to Be One of the Best Boxers in Hollywood

6) A Sailing Mate of Errol’s

7) A Regular Visitor to Mulholland

Who was This Esteemed Friend of Errol’s?

A World War I Connection to Personal History – Involves Pre-Nazi Germany:

zep_2652198b

— Gentleman Tim

1. Paula

January 22, 2015 at 5:40 pm

I’m gonna totally go out on a limb here and guess Teddy Stauffer? I really just want to thank you all…I’m new to the blog but I so love it and have already learned so much.

• Gentleman Tim

January 23, 2015 at 1:49 am

Welcome, Paula! That’s a really great and educated guess. I would never have thought of that. Teddy does indeed fit most of the criteria, but he’s not who I’m referring to.

I can tell you know your stuff, so keep guessing! It’s a bit tricky a question, especially with regard to the boxing part, and the video.

January 23, 2015 at 10:06 am

Originally from Europe and had family members in show business, one ofwhom was well known when Errol was at his peak in Hollywood. Others were famous earlier. Father was a boxer for a while. Trailblazing director.

This has a connection:

London Attacked!: youtu.be/e5eU7VJm9MM…

This too:

482

• Paula

January 23, 2015 at 8:05 pm

I want to say Orson Welles, but the boxing thing…this is so left field…John Huston?

• Gentleman Tim

January 24, 2015 at 10:36 am

Excellent educated guesses, Paula. Though similar in ways otherwise, this person had one VERY notable and immediately noticable physical difference.

Here are some other clues:

1) Co-starred with Errol in a film known for outstanding music and an extremely beautiful female co-star.

2) Noted for Film Noir.

3) Was notable for TV work also, including westerns, suspence, et al.

4) The boxing clue is a Very tricky aspect of this. True, but tricky.

5) Sometimes had a dog on visits at Mulholland and sailing trips with Errol.

6) Used to make Flynn laugh.

7) More than once played a murderer in well regarded films.

8) Uncle started a dance craze.

9) Born in London, during an air raid.

10) Very close to Errol.

Knew and worked with this fellow quite well:

raoulwalsh.jpg

• Paula

January 25, 2015 at 5:18 am

You’re a crafty one and no mistake…it’s Ida Lupino. I had to Google “Lambeth Walk” and of course then I got it. IIRC, the movie referred to in #1 (second set of clues) is ESCAPE ME NEVER. The movie was a flop, but their friendship was a big success. You’ll have to explain the boxing thing though!

3. Paula

January 29, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Oh my goodness…thank you. I don’t know if I’d go that far! Though sometimes I can’t remember what I went into the next room to get, my mind does seems to absorb a lot about Mr. Flynn.