Gable and Flynn

03 Jun

Many years ago a guy on the Yahoo Groups site was looking for a group photo of MGM actors that had Flynn and Gable together. I don’t know why he was so interested but he felt it was very important or rare? I found this cropped photo and I am posting it. Its not the greatest since the original is most likely a large group photo.

— twinarchers

June 3, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Don’t you mean Flynn & Gable, tw!?! Oh, the stories those two could tell!

Is this perhaps from the MGM promotional (1949/25th Anniversary) banquet group video/photo session, with Flynn in because of That F Woman/Saga?

2. Tina

June 4, 2014 at 4:43 am

Hi twinarchers:
    You are maybe thinking of this picture! I would say it was most likely taken the same day just a different shot as Errol’s arms are different but all else seems to be the same.

3. Tina

June 4, 2014 at 4:27 pm

They are all sitting on the same places except Lassie, so it must have been on the same day just a different shot.
    Does anybody recognizes the lady sitting beside Errol?
    There is also something I can’t figure out. On the displayed pictures Errol is in his costume as Soames and I can’t find Greer Garson – can you? Furthermore, nobody is in costumes, except Errol. I wonder why? Yet there is a picture of Greer in her costume of the movie and Errol is not and it is from the same anniversary? Has anybody any answers?

On all the pictures Errol looks rather somber not his happy self.
    I wonder what he was thinking?
    Might be: “Get me out of here, I want to go sailing”

• Gentleman Tim

June 4, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I believe Errol likely switched alphabetical places with Betty Garrett, Tina, so he could sit with Greer. You’re surely right he’s rather be sailing! That Soames character’s probably weighing on him heavily, too. I myself find it painful to watch! (He plays it great, of course, but I’d rather see him killing the bad guys and saving the damsels!!) I seriously doubt he liked these kind of hours-long sit down dog-and-pony show type events anywhere, nevermind with a bunch of MGMers! (Though they certainly are wonderful for posterities – if not posteriors.)…

Regarding the costumes, maybe these various shots & scenes happened over an extended number of hours, with Flynn independently shooting some scenes and Greer shooting others?…

Here’s Take Me Out Betty with a few other heavy hitters:

4. rswilltell

June 4, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Yes that is Betty Garrett in the photo taken for MGM’s 25th anniversary (1924-1949).
    OK now here’s a stumper for you. How many people in that photgraph are still alive not counting Lassie?

• Robert

June 4, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Seven, with at least one in each row: Arlene Dahl, Gloria DeHaven, Claude Jarmin, Jr., Louis Jourdan, Angela Lansbury, Jane Powell, and Dean Stockwell

• shangheinz

June 4, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Hi Robert Hood,
        what`s your take on Errol`s rather defensive body language, slightly leaning away from Gable? Clark was palsy with David Niven, what about his relationship with Flynn…maybe annoyance that he would have made a better Rhett?

• zacal

June 7, 2014 at 4:18 am

It turns out Flynn and Gable became good friends. Shelley Winters wrote about going on a double date with them.

• Tina

June 4, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Hi Ralph;
      Angela Lansbury, Maureen O’Hara, Margaret OBrien, Rhonda Fleming, Jane Powell, Arlene Dahl, Gloria DeHaven, Louis Jourdan,
      I could be wrong but these I find. There could be more!
      What is your list?
      Take care!

• Gentleman Tim

June 5, 2014 at 5:51 am

I refuse to kick Lassie to the curb, Ralph! She – or on occasion, he – is alive & licking:

5. rswilltell

June 4, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Robert is right! Of the original 58 stars only seven are still alive, Louis Jourdan, Dean Stockwell, Arlene Dahl, Jane Powell, Claude Jarman Jr., Angela Landsbury, and Gloria DeHaven.

Margaret O’Brien, Maureen O’Hara and Rhonda Fleming are not in the photo.

6. rswilltell

June 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Lassie is wonderful as always!

7. zacal

June 7, 2014 at 4:15 am

HA!! That’s MY cropped photo!! I had it done years ago from the group MGM shot. I took it to a photo shop in Marina Del Rey and still have the framed version on my shelf.