40 Years Ago Today…….

13 Nov

……..I became a life long fan of Errol Flynn. On a cool evening in Philadelphia I went to the TLA Theater on South Street to see a double feature of “Captain Blood” and “The Adventures of Robin Hood” (“Great time!” I wrote in my journal). Though I had enjoyed his films on TV since I was a kid, this was the first time I had ever seen any of them on the big screen and I was hooked. From then on I actively searched out anything I could on Errol Flynn, and attended every film of his that showed on big screens, from New York to Philadelphia, and later in Hollywood. I saw dozens in many theaters, and lost count of seeing “Robin Hood” after the 25th big screen viewing. 40 years. And yet, it seems, paraphrasing my buddy Paul Williams’ song, I’ve only just begun!

— Robert

1. Inga

November 13, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Thanks for sharing that special day with us, Robert! 40 years seems like such a long time… I hope I’ll get a chance of seeing any Flynn film on the big screen one day.

• Robzak

November 14, 2012 at 4:35 am

I would recommend petitioning your local theater to show some Flynn!

• Inga

November 14, 2012 at 9:09 am

I wish there WAS a local theatre…

• Robzak

November 14, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Petition your town for a theater. Better yet, open one yourself and show nothing but classics!

• Inga

November 14, 2012 at 8:57 pm

My secret dream… for 2,500 inhabitants.

• Robzak

November 15, 2012 at 12:49 am

Low population is no excuse, Inga. Build it and they will come–from far and wide!

• Inga

November 15, 2012 at 6:55 am

We used to have one in the ex GDR – it is a shoe shop now.

• Rachel

November 17, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Yeah, ditto! :-)
      Congrats, Robzak, on your 40 yrs of Flynn fandom!
      And I’d love to see a Flynn film on the big screen too.

2. ILIKEFLYNN

November 13, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Happy Anniversary, Rozak!
    It reminds me to commemorate when I too became a life long Errol Flynn fan. While is not yet 40 years. (I first became a “life long fan” in 1974 after picking up a copy of “My Wicked, Wicked Ways”). I too have had the fortune of seeing his films on the silver screen, as after reading “MWWW” and realizing that Flynn was the star of one of my favorite westerns, (“Dodge City” 1939) I sought out his films all over NYC. and was very lucky in finding them.
    So,here’s to you, sport! Bung Ho!–A. R.

• Robzak

November 14, 2012 at 4:39 am

We may have crossed paths at the Regency on Broadway!

• ILIKEFLYNN

November 15, 2012 at 4:43 am

Ah, yes, the Regency! It was there where I saw “Captain Blood” for the first time! Good times! But alas even the theater that replaced it is long gone! Ah, memories, memories!–A. R.

• Robzak

November 15, 2012 at 4:48 am

Nothing compared to L.A. up until the 90s, though. A number of revival houses (and colleges) with continual programs of classics kept my refrigerator door constantly plastered with schedules. It was a classic film buff’s paradise!

3. timerider

November 15, 2012 at 12:45 am

Robzak! Sounds familiar! I first saw The Flynn at the Century theater near Rising Sun ave and 7th st Philly back in the mid 50′s! Long long ago in a galaxy far far away! I’m a desert rat and mountain man and a beachbum these last 40 years I remember a balcony and kids throwing paper airplanes, popcorn, spit balls, candy and soda pop from up there! LOL! There were contests for free yo yo’s and bicycles. I used to clean up for free movie passes and find coins on the floor! Memories come in like a flood! We were all pirates in those great old days!

• Robzak

November 15, 2012 at 12:48 am

Of course, our big question is what film? And we trust you weren’t one of the brats throwing airplanes and spitballs!

• timerider

November 30, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I don’t get on here all that much but I remember? Capt Blood and Robin Hood. I can’t trust my 65 year old memory!
        I wish Dr Who would drop by in the Tartus to wisk me back there one more time!

• ILIKEFLYNN

December 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I believe you meant TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) –A. R.

4. daringthorpe

November 16, 2012 at 11:21 am

Ah the memories I was about 10 when I sat down to watch “The adventures of Robin Hood.” I was hooked.Then a few years later I read “My Wicked Wicked ways” and so began a lifelong fascination with Errol Flynn and his Movies. so Happy 40th. happy searching.

5. arndtdf

November 16, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Yes, thanks for sharing. Reading your experience reminded me that my Flynn “anniversary” is nearly the same, and although I cannot recall the exact date [around Xmas-I was 8 yrs. old], mine was the exact experience. My father took me to see the same double feature, only in Pittsburgh, PA. I was completed captivated. As I like to tell people, “I saw a double-feature of Robin Hood & Captain Blood, and since then I’ve never been the same.”

6. MzSuzie49

November 26, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Those of us who have decadesunder our belts with a love of Errol ,still celebrate his memory. Personally, after 50+ years!! ( I fell in love with Errol at the age of ten; with my father being stationed in Milwaukee Wisconsin. It was his last post before retirement as a “lifer.”) We had just returned from the Japanese Island of Okinawa. After spending three years overseas; imagine my excitement when I saw my first ELF film on our tiny black and white TV!?! It was “Captain Blood “!! I swooned and have been smitten ever since sigh…Who could resist that dimpled grin and all that encompassed his persona.

7. MzSuzie49

November 26, 2012 at 6:12 pm

How about 50 years.. :). But then… he is timeless. Everything new that surffaces is as exciting as the day it happened. Every time I see “Captain Blood” I fall in love all over again.

8. David DeWitt

December 1, 2012 at 1:20 am

Funny, you should mention Dr. Who – I had been aware of this show but never really watched it … but lately, it has been on the TV here a lot! I asked my friend Jono how long this has been on the air, because I couldn’t believe it was still on, and he laughed, and said, you won’t believe me if I tell you! Tell me! …49 years … seriously!

• ILIKEFLYNN

December 1, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Actually Dr. Who first went on the air in England on Nov. 22, 1963, which of course you know is a very important day in US history. But here in the US the Doctor made his first appearance through the release of the film “Dr. Who and the Daleks” starring Peter Cushing as the Doctor in 1966. Eleven actors have played the Doctor on the TV series. The first to catch on in the US was when the series featuring Tom Baker as the Doctor first aired here in the seventies. The series then aired continually in the UK from 1963-1989. Then went on hiatus until 2005. (With A US produced Dr. Who film appearing in 1996.) Of course now the series can be seen on the cable channel BBC America here in “the states.” As fantasy series go it can prove very amusing and entertaining.So I highly recommend it.–A. R.